Education City Summer Roundup

Here is a list of important events and updates from Education City that you might have missed over the summer.

Education City featured in international media

By Neha Rashid

Soon after Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain officially cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, Education City and its students were featured by various news organizations as they looked at the siege’s impact on student life in Qatar.

AJ+’s Ahmed Shihab-Eldin met with four students in Education City to discuss how the diplomatic crisis affected their education plans in Qatar. USA Today College focused on how the limit on air-travel would impact students’ decisions to study abroad. One of our editors, Oma Seddiq, wrote an op-ed for CNN on being an expat student in Qatar and how the siege disrupted student travel plans to and from Doha. Finally, the Daily Northwestern published an op-ed on how Northwestern needs to reevaluate its international campus in Qatar in light of the accusations against the regime.

CMU-Q student chosen as Women Techmaker Scholar  

By Basmah Azmi

Aisha Mohamed, a rising senior at Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, was selected as the Women Techmaker Scholar for 2017, for her exceptional academic performance, leadership, and impact on the community of women in technology.

She was the fifth CMU-Q student to receive this recognition. Since 2014, Women Techmakers has launched programs to support women in the technology industry.

According to Ilker Baybars, the former dean and CEO of CMU-Q, Mohamed possesses an “exceptional analytical mind, a strong work ethic, and an ethical approach to solving problems.”

Cornell student’s breakthrough in stroke prediction

By Jueun Choi

A third-year medical student at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar discovered an innovative technique to assess stroke patients. The non-invasive method will find out if a person suffered a stroke as well as its severity. His pioneering project is the first attempt at using blood vessels in the brain for stroke assessment. Adham Mushtak’s abstract “Cerebral blood flow and auto-regulation in acute TIA patients from a general hospital in Qatar” was accepted by the American Academy of Neurology. He was invited to their annual conference where international neurology specialists were among the attendees.

CMU-Q appoints a new dean

By Ifath Sayed

Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar appointed Michael Trick as its new dean. He has served as a Tepper School of Business faculty member since 1989.

Trick is the author of 50 professional publications as well as the editor of five volumes of refereed articles. He is also a fellow of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. Trick succeeds Ilker Baybars, who stepped down from his position at CMU-Q in June 2017.

VCU-Q and NU-Q alumni present art work at exhibition in London

By Oma Seddiq

Alumni from Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar and Northwestern University in Qatar are presenting their artwork in the Menier Gallery in London for an exhibition running from Tuesday, Aug. 15 till Saturday, Sept. 2.

The exhibition, known as “Transition,” is hosted by Reconnecting Arts, an artist-led company based in Doha that aims to promote creative work made in the Middle East.

Five VCU-Q artists and one NU-Q filmmaker shared their own meanings of transition by reflecting on cultural, geographical and personal changes. Their work ranged from fine art and calligraphy to photography and video with pieces that shed light on Trump’s Muslim ban, the Qatar blockade and the importance of a mother’s love. The exhibition features more than 30 emerging artists from the Middle East.