Staff Member of Female Student Housing Tests Positive for COVID-19

Asmae Nakib, Staff Reporter

(Photo/Qatar Foundation)

A staff member in Education City Female Student Housing tested positive for COVID-19 over the winter break, according to an email sent out to all staff members and residents on Dec. 29.

“We are writing to notify you that we have had a professional staff member in the Shamali Village test positive for COVID-19. As a result, we are taking a series of precautionary measures,” the email announced.

The email sent to residents on Dec. 29.

The Student Housing and Residence Life team emphasized in their statement that they immediately took precautionary measures to ensure the safety of residents and avoiding the spread of the virus. The housing team reached out to all those who recently came in contact with the infected individual. “All affected areas have been cleaned thoroughly based on the contact tracing results,” the email noted.

“Whenever we receive notification of a positive COVID-19 case, a number of precautionary measures are taken out of an abundance of caution, reflecting how the health and safety of our residents and staff is always our highest priority,” said Matthew Nelson, head of residence life, in an email to the Daily-Q.

When a student or staff member tests positive, the infected individual is immediately transferred to the building dedicated to quarantine purposes, said Nelson. The housing team then contacts all those who were in close proximity of the COVID-19 case and they get tested. In the meantime, the residences are cleaned and disinfected.

“We have implemented thorough cleaning and disinfecting procedures for any elements of shared equipment, employed after they have been used— these include tools, photocopiers, and other items and devices which are used by numerous people. Cleaning contractors regularly clean offices and commonly touched areas such as door handles workstation desktops, and lift buttons. Inbound goods – such as mail, parcels, and books – are either cleaned and disinfected or quarantined, where appropriate,” Nelson explained.

This is not the first COVID-19 case reported in female housing. Last November, a student tested positive for COVID-19. No other cases have been reported since late December.

Housing residents are still encouraged to follow the required health protocols and comply with all social distancing measures needed to prevent the spread of the virus.

“Masks are required in all areas of Student Housing, except for when you are in your assigned room. Please ensure that masks are worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth at all times. In-person gatherings inside Student Housing, including the residential common areas and residents’ rooms, are strictly prohibited,” the email reiterated.