Education City Winter Roundup 2018

Photo+by+Ena+Palaska.+

Photo by Ena Palaska.

Here is a list of important events and updates from Education City that you might have missed over the winter break.

QSTP holds 2nd edition of the Arab Innovation Academy

Source: ArabBrains.com

More than 200 young innovators and entrepreneurs from around the world came together to participate in the 2nd edition of the Arab Innovation Academy held at the Hamad Bin Khalifa University Student Centre from Jan. 2nd to 15th. According to the AIA website, the program is developed by faculty at UC Berkeley and aims to form multidisciplinary teams that pitch ideas for start-ups to a panel of Silicon Valley venture capitalists. Participants from more than 75 nationalities were mentored under the program this year. AIA is an initiative of the Qatar Science and Technology Park in collaboration with European Innovation Academy.

NU-Q holds first Winter Media Program

Source: NU-Q twitter

Northwestern University in Qatar held its first Winter Media Program for high-school students between Jan. 6th to 10th. Rana Kazkaz, assistant professor in residence at NU-Q, led a group of 29 local and international students in hands-on activities, allowing them to get a glimpse of the field of media. Student teams produced five short films during their time at Northwestern which were showcased on the last day of the program.

Qatar Foundation holds Education City Winter Camp

Source: QF Website

Qatar Foundation organized Education City Winter Camp for children aged six to 10 years at Aswaj Academy from Dec. 23, 2018 to Jan. 3, 2019. Through a series of hands-on activities, such as scientific experiments, horse-riding lessons, and a football program, students were offered the opportunity to learn a number of skills, including teamwork and interpersonal communication.

CMU-Q students place 2nd and 3rd at Qatar University business competition

Source: CMU-Q Website

Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar first-year students Jawaria Abbas, Sara Hussain and Omaia Khandaker won 2nd place at the Power of Analytics Business Case Competition hosted by Qatar University. Another team of three CMU-Q juniors Yasmin Abdelaal, Zainab Akhtar and Aya El-Sakka placed 3rd.

QFI and GEEO Organize Trip to Qatar and Oman

Source: QF Website

The U.S.-based Qatar Foundation International and Global Exploration for Educators Organization in Philadelphia organized an educator cultural immersion trip to Qatar and Oman. Under the 10-day long trip, 16 K-12 educators from 12 different states across the United States explored a number of historical and cultural sites in the two countries. The trip aimed at encouraging the educators to use their newly-gained knowledge of the region for educational strategies, such as course curriculum and class activities.

WCM-Q Addresses Spread and Treatment of Diabetes

Under the Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar Grand Round series, Dr. Alexandra Butler, adjunct professor of medicine/endocrinology in the Diabetes Research Center at Qatar Biomedical Research Institute, delivered a lecture titled “Diabetes, The Ticking Time Bomb.” The lecture addressed the proliferation of diabetes across the globe and discussed future treatment options, such as stem cell therapy, which is already being pursued in the Diabetes Research Center Stem Cell Group at QBRI.

Her Highness Participates in ‘Flag Relay’

Source: MozabintNasser Instagram

Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Qatar Foundation, participated in the Flag Relay at Education City on Dec. 14, 2018. Under the event, the Qatari national flag was carried across the country by athletes, students, and members of the public, with Education City forming part of the relay route. The Flag Relay concluded with Sheikha Moza receiving the Qatari flag at Education City’s Oxygen Park.

UN Secretary-General delivers lecture in EC

Source: HBKU Website

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres delivered a lecture titled “The Importance of Multilateralism in a Time of Unprecedented Challenge” in Education City as part of the Qatar Foundation initiative called the Education City Speaker Series. The event was hosted by Hamad Bin Khalifa University and was attended by Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani, vice chairperson and CEO of Qatar Foundation and chairperson of the Board of Trustees of HBKU, along with students, diplomats and faculty members across Education City universities.

WISE Hosts Workshop to Design 2019 Summit

Source: QF Website

The World Innovation Summit for Education, an initiative of Qatar Foundation, organized a community workshop with 40 participants from various organizations, including the private and public sector, to help design the three-day “2019 Global WISE Summit” that will take place in Doha this year from Oct. 28th to 30th.

Qatar makes The New York Times Travel’s “52 Places to Go” annual wish list for 2019

Source: Qatar Foundation Instagram

Qatar is the 37th destination mentioned under The New York Times Travel’s “52 Places to Go” annual wish list.  This list is put together by a number of journalists, photographers and writers for The Times around the globe and includes destinations ranging from the Frisian Islands to the Ontario Ice Caves.