Education City Summer Roundup 2018

Photo credit: QNL’s Facebook page.

NU-Q Student wins Silver Medal in West Asian Championships

Northwestern University in Qatar communication sophomore Mariam Farid won the silver medal in the triple jump competition at the 2018 West Asian Championships held in Jordan. The win came as a surprise to Farid and her team as she was injured only two months before the competition, according to Farid. “Being a wildcat always makes me more confident… and this is just the beginning. Next year I have important competitions, and I look forward to NU-Q supporting me,” she said.

Farid celebrating her victory at the West Asian Championships in Jordan. Photo provided by Mariam Farid.

CMU-Q Students travel to Cambodia on Service Trip

Fifteen Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar students travelled to Cambodia in May on a service learning trip. The majority of their time there was spent working with an organization called Volunteering Solutions. They spent the week building a house and garden from scratch, with the help of locals, for a family with poor living conditions. They also picked up valuable life skills while living in the village. “We caught fish for our own meals and lived in a house with minimal electricity,” said Hari Krishna, a computer science major at CMU-Q. The group also spent some of their time exploring the marvels of the country, which included visiting Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world.

Students gathered around the house they built. Photo provided by Hari Krishna.

WCM-Q researchers discover malaria drug could make cancer treatments more effective

In May, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar researchers discovered “how an existing malaria drug could improve the effectiveness of a new class of cancer therapies, called Glutaminase Inhibitors, if used in a combination” according to WCM-Q. The research was led by Dr Anna Halama, a research associate in physiology and biophysics, and Dr. Karsten Suhreprofessor of physiology and biophysics. The research was supported by the Qatar National Research Fund and was published in “Cancer Letters,” a peer-reviewed medical journal that focuses on original research on the multidisciplinary aspects of cancer. Their approach may provide physician scientists with a new technique that can be replicated in other cancer therapies.

Dr. Karsten Suhre and Dr. Anna Halama. Photo credit: WCM-Q website.

GU-Q Alumnus receives 2018 Queen’s Young Leaders Award

Haroon Yasin, a Georgetown University in Qatar alumnus (SFS’15), received the 2018 Queen’s Young Leaders Award from Great Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II for his work to educate underprivileged children in Pakistan. This award is given annually to recognize young people who are making a positive impact in their local community. Yasin and fellow GU-Q Alumnus Ahwaz Akhtar (SFS ‘16) are the founders of Orenda, an education organization that uses engaging digital tools to teach low-income children in Pakistan.

Haroon Yasin receiving his award from the Queen. Photo credit: Georgetown University in Qatar Twitter account.