Useful NU-Q digital resources

Tony El Ghazal, Multimedia Reporter

With NU-Q being one of the most expensive universities in Education City, being a Wildcat comes with some perks, especially when it comes to digital resources. Here’s a list of some of the most useful online resources that you probably didn’t know you had access to as a Northwestern student.

1. Lynda.com

Lynda.com is an online tutorial website that offers a range of videos that provide skill and software training. The tutorials range from learning web development to mastering the art of screenwriting. Northwestern has partnered with Lynda in order to provide students and faculty with free access, so you can log in with your NetID and password. There is also an app that is available for iOS and Android mobile phones.

2. Kanopy

Kanopy is an online on-demand video streaming service that only requires the NU-Q VPN for access. The videos include documentaries, classic, indie, short and feature films. The collection includes more than 30,000 videos.

3. Learning Express

Learning Express is a learning tool for reading, writing, business and math. It contains practice tests, basic skill courses and computer software tutorials. The tests provide practice questions on standardized tests such as the FCAT, GED, and the ASVAB. In addition to this, it also offers a range of academic and career tests that could be useful for students to explore potential career paths.

4. Press Reader

Press Reader is a customizable online news feed that is available under the NU-Q VPN. NU-Q members have access to hundreds of newspapers that could be useful for browsing or even research. It also comes with an application for mobile phones that allows easier access to news.

5. Global Rescue GRID

Global Rescue GRID is a provider of support, security, country assessment, and emergency medication advice. In addition to the online website, there is also a mobile application that performs the same functions. Using this platform could be extremely handy, especially when traveling outside of Qatar. Northwestern has enrolled all its students to Global Rescue GRID, which allows them to access all the features.

There are two methods to obtain the password for your account. The easy way is to go to the Global Rescue GRID website, click ‘Forgot Password,’ and you will receive a temporary password via which you can  thencreate your own. The second way is to contact Lea Bowman, business and risk analyst, or Michael McDonough, director of health, safety, security and environment, for help with the account.

6. Box

In addition to Google Drive, NU-Q members have unlimited storage available on Box as well. Box is a great tool to save, sync, and share big files across the cloud. It also has a mobile application, and a PC/Mac plugin to save files from your computer in real-time.

7. AskZad

AskZad is one of the world’s largest Arabic digital libraries which contain newspapers, books and journal articles. Using NU-Q VPN, students and faculty have access to most, if not all, Arabic newspapers dating back to 1823.

8. NU-Q Library Databases

The Northwestern Library database includes more than 900 databases, and each database contains thousands of journal articles about a variety of topics. These databases are all accessible using only the NetID and would come in handy for research.

9. Overdrive

Overdrive is a new addition to the library’s resources that allows students to borrow eBooks for Kindles, tablets or computers for free. There are currently about 1,000 eBooks available for students, staff and faculty to access. The website also recommends books for the NU-Q Library to add to the collection.

10.  Mango Languages

This website is open for everyone, even if you are not a NU-Q student. Mango Languages is a website that teaches more than 70 different languages, including Arabic, French, Spanish, Japanese, among others, and 30 specialty courses. It provides language courses for different dialects of the same language and even has a class on 17th-century pirate. The website also has an app for mobile phones and could possibly help if you are planning to apply for Northwestern’s Undergraduate Language Grant.

Facebook Comments Box