Education City winter roundup 2017

Here is a list of important events and updates from Education City that you might have missed over the winter break.

QSTP holds first Arab Innovation Academy

By Ifath Arwah Sayed

More than 100 young entrepreneurs and innovators from Qatar and the Arab region participated in Qatar Science and Technology Park’s first Arab Innovation Academy at the Hamad Bin Khalifa University Student Center. The program ran from Dec. 31, 2017 to Jan. 11, 2018 in collaboration with the European Innovation Academy. According to the AIA website, the program incorporated an accelerated mode of experiential learning where participants turned innovative ideas to solve current world issues into start-up pitches. Students were mentored by top experts from Silicon Valley companies, such as Google and Amazon, and top universities including UC Berkeley and Stanford University. At the end of the program, student groups pitched various start-up ideas to top investors around the world, and the top four teams were chosen to be mentored by QSTP for further development of their ideas. Participants from Qatar and Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Kuwait, Algeria, Turkey, and Palestine participated in the program.

Texas A&M University at Qatar hosts math camp

By Jueun Choi

Texas A&M University at Qatar hosted the second Arab-German Young Academy Math Olympiad Camp from Nov. 23rd to 25th for 50 students aged 14 to 16 in Qatar. The participants engaged in fun math activities and competitions that prepared them for international math competitions, such as the International Mathematical Olympiad. The Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities brings together Arab and German scholars for research cooperation. “This time we received more than 350 applications from students and teaching volunteers,” said Ahmad El-Guindy, the organizer of AGYA Math Camp. The camp included a keynote address and panel discussion on the topic of increasing the social relevance of math education.

VCUarts Qatar alumni showcase their work in Germany 

By Basmah Azmi

Alumni from Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar showcased their artwork at the Contemporary Art Qatar exhibition in Berlin, Germany, from Dec. 12, 2017 to Jan. 3, 2018. The exhibition showcased a selection of creative perspectives on Qatari culture in celebration of the German-Qatari Year of Culture 2017. Artists displayed their photography, sculptures, videos, and paintings, which explored the transformation of Qatar from its humble beginning to the urban center of culture and commerce that it is today. The exhibition also enabled the artists to share their personal experiences of being part of a culturally diverse population in the country.

NU-Q launches executive education program

By Neha Rashid

Northwestern University in Qatar announced the launch of its executive education program, a series of masterclasses on various topics. The first selected topic will focus on the changing business of sport and sport communication and will include three masterclasses. Classes will look at the transformation of world sport, taught by Craig LaMay, an associate professor in NU-Q’s journalism and strategic communication program; sport law and governance, taught by Mark Conrad, an associate professor of law and ethics at Fordham University’s Gabelli School of Business; and sport marketing to influence growth of business and sport, taught by Candy Lee, a professor at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications. The masterclasses are open to those who have completed an undergraduate degree and a minimum of one to two years of professional experience. Attendees will receive a NU-Q certificate in Sport Communications. The classes will be held on three consecutive weekends in February. More information on registration and additional details about the classes can be found here.

NU-Q students travel to Morocco, Cyprus, and Sri Lanka for service learning

By Sara Sarwar

Students from NU-Q traveled to Morocco, Cyprus and Sri Lanka as part of the university’s Wildcat Serve program. The program allows students to apply for grants for an independent service learning trip that will combat a global issue. The chosen Wildcat Serve grantees then set out on their trip during either the summer or winter break. This winter break, seniors Ayeda Iftikhar and Sarhan Khan traveled to Morocco to work with children with special needs and disabilities, while sophomores Sana Hussain and Sahar ElKabbash went to Sri Lanka to research and combat issues affecting the world’s turtles. Another group of sophomores, Dylan Finol, Isabella Palma Lopez and Farah Al Sharif went to Cyprus to work with migrants and refugees. The students will present their experiences to the NU-Q community this coming semester.

Facebook Comments Box