Six things to do in Qatar over winter break

Rahma El-Deeb, Staff reporter

Now that the fall semester is officially over, there are different ways you can celebrate this winter break. Read on to find out six things you can do around Doha this month.

1. National Day Celebrations at Darb Al Saai

Photo credit: The Peninsula

We are now just a few days away from Qatar National Day which falls on Dec. 18 and the Qatari flags are up on every building and skyscraper. The celebrations have already begun at Darb Al Saai where visitors can partake in activities such as horse-riding and wall-climbing.

Additionally, this year the Police College launched an activity that involves painting the biggest portrait of Qatar’s Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani titled “The Dignity Image.” The organizers are hoping to set a Guinness World Record but it requires 14,000 people to take part in painting the portrait at Darb Al Saai.

The activities at Darb Al Saai are happening till Dec. 20. Visitors are welcome from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. then from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. On Fridays, events are open from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m.

2. National Day Celebrations in Katara

Photo credit: Pexels

Katara is hosting several activities in celebration of National Day till Dec. 19, every day from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. The theme for the celebrations is “Promise of Prosperity and Glory.” The festivities include military and student parades, workshops, performances and exhibitions, as well as, a dancing fountain that will move to national songs every 20 minutes. The ‘entertainment’ train will drive visitors through Katara’s esplanade.

To end the celebrations, there will be a fireworks display on Dec. 19.

3. Torba Farmers Market

Photo credit: Wish lists and Wanderings

Qatar Foundation is hosting a weekly farmers market at Education City’s Ceremonial Court, selling local and organic produce. It started back in Nov. 16 and will continue till Feb. 2, 2018. The market has stalls for vegan cuisine, handmade and baked foods, as well as activities and entrainment.

The market happens every Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and again from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

4. Qatar National Library

Photo credit: QNL’s Facebook page

Now that the semester is over, there is finally some time to read for leisure. Head over to the recently opened Qatar National Library, snap a few photos in the swinging pods and check out their collection of 26,000 print books, numerous computers, 3D printers, a theater, a café and studios. Details for scheduled tours are also available on their website.

QNL is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., except on Fridays when it is open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

5. Qatar International Derby

Photo credit: Qatar Racing & Equestrian Club

The Qatar Racing and Equestrian Club will be hosting a horse racing event on Dec. 29 and Dec. 30 at the Al Rayyan Racecourse. The annual celebrations host trainers and horse breeds, inviting a large international crowd.

Entry is free for all and the event will feature several entertainment activities for families and friends. Timings for the derby are yet to be announced.

6. SLEEP!

Photo credit: Pexels

Once it’s all said and done though, what students have most craved this semester is most likely sleep. So get under those warm covers and catch up on hours of lost sleep. Make sure to get a few extra hours to help you cope up with the upcoming spring semester!