Student newspaper at NU-Q

The Daily Q

Education City: 2016 Year in Review

By The Daily Q Staff

As 2016 comes to an end, here is a compilation of this year’s major happenings in Education City.

JANUARY
Al-Shaqab hotel formally inaugurated
Qatar Foundation officially inaugurated the Al Shaqab Hotel on Jan. 7, which had a soft opening in late 2014. The hotel has 70 rooms and offers unique health and wellness facilities to the guests to promote active lifestyle.

Al Shaqab Hotel [Al Shaqab]

FEBRUARY
Oxygen Park opened
Known as the “green lung of Education City,” Oxygen Park fully opened to the public in February after serving as the venue of various National Sports Day activities. The 130,000 square meters green space offers running and horse-riding tracks, air-conditioned walkways, multi-purposed pitches and a children’s play area.

NU-Q extends contract with Qatar Foundation
Northwestern University in Qatar’s contract with Qatar Foundation was officially renewed till 2028. Previously, the contract was set to expire in 2018.

Sheikha Hind [QF]

Sheikha Hind named CEO of Qatar Foundation
Qatar Foundation appointed Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani as its new Chief Executive Officer in February. Sheikha Hind also continues her role as the vice chairperson of QF. Then in October, Hamad Bin Khalifa University appointed her as the chairperson of its Board of Trustees.

MARCH
NU-Q restructures its academic programs
Northwestern University in Qatar announced significant changes to its academic programs, including changes in requirements for each major and allowing incoming freshmen to enroll in the university as undeclared majors.

QF Radio office [QF Radio]

JUNE
QF Radio shut down
Though popular among the EC community, QF Radio was shut down. An official email stated that the channel had achieved its goal of communicating “the QF story and vision.” Further details were not given out.

JULY
NU-Q student nominated for Student Oscar
Shahnawaz Zali, a recent NU-Q graduate, was nominated for the Student Academy Awards for his acclaimed movie, “100 Steps.” The film was nominated for Best Film in the Narrative category for the 43rd Student Oscars.

SEPTEMBER
TAMU-Q and GU-Q appointed new deans
GU-Q’s founding dean, James Reardon-Anderson, took up his post as dean once again in September. He brought with him plans to expand GU-Q’s student body and provide more financial aid opportunities. Meanwhile, TAMU-Q welcomed César Malavé as its third permanent dean. On his agenda are plans to provide more research and study abroad opportunities for students.

Married couples move into residence halls
Housing and Residence Life made space in the Janoubi residence halls for married couples to move in beginning Fall 2016. So far five couples live in the Shuker building inside Janoubi.

EBDA booth at HBKU Student Center [Shakeeb Asrar]

EBDA disbanded
The EBDA leadership development program that officially started in 2014 cancelled most of its offerings, except its week-long residential program, LeaderShape, and its international service-learning trip, Not Your Average Spring Break. The latter will be open only to HBKU students.

Student Center’s event management coordinator passes away
Bachar M. El Tabbah, 32, the events management coordinator at the Hamad Bin Khalifa University Student Center, passed away on Sept. 30. Education City’s community came together to remember him and express their condolences.

OCTOBER
HRL changed winter housing policies
HRL announced an official winter break period running from Dec. 23-29. Students staying in the residence halls during it were told they would be charged weekly rates. Other important policies such as storage and contractual changes were also announced.

HBKU Brand room in Student Center [HBKU]

NOVEMBER
HBKU rebranded
Hamad Bin Khalifa University revealed its new brand, which included a new logo, a new website and a restructuring of colleges under HBKU. The Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies was renamed the College of Islamic Studies and became one of the five colleges of HBKU.

The Daily Q rebranded
Education City’s only student-run newspaper launched a new branding on Nov. 22, including a new digital-friendly logo, advanced website and new sections for more varied content, including a comics section and TDQ Magazine.

DECEMBER
NU-Q drops funding for Engage Chicago
Students at Northwestern University in Qatar will no longer be provided financial support or scholarships for Engage Chicago, an immersive summer study program organized by Northwestern’s main campus. Instead additional funding will be provided for the Global Engagement Studies Institute program, another service engagement program that has a more global focus.

Exterior of new NU-Q building

NU-Q moves to its new building
Northwestern University in Qatar, which was located on the third floor of Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, started moving to its new and permanent building in December. Starting January, all classes and other university operations will take place in the new building.

Facebook Comments

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Spotlight: The impact of financial aid cuts on student lives

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

NU-Q’s new building officially inaugurated

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Class of 2017: Profiles & Portraits

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Spotlight: NU-Q celebrates first graduation in its new building

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Things graduating seniors need to know

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Journalism students from Qatar and Evanston collaborate on enterprise projects

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Students concerned about NU-Q’s portrayal in Evanston student publications

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

EC Students go Globetrotting

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Faculty Profile: Justin Reifert’s Journey to Documentary Filmmaking

• Education City: 2016 Year in Review

Features

Student multimedia website explores patterns of Qatar’s architectural evolution

Student newspaper at NU-Q
Education City: 2016 Year in Review