HBKU announces spring break trip to Nepal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jaser Alagha

Photo by Jaser Alagha

Photo by Jaser Alagha

Photo by Jaser Alagha

By Penny Yi Wang

Photo by Jaser Alagha

Photo by Jaser Alagha

The Hamad Bin Khalifa University Student Center has announced that next year’s spring break trip would go to Nepal.

The Campus Life staff, organizers of the trip, announced the destination earlier than they usually do because they are recruiting student leaders for the trip, according to Mohammed Fakhro, Student Activity Officer at HBKU Student Center.

“The two student leader positions are meant for students who have had previous service-learning trip experiences with their university or HBKU Student Center. THIS allows them to take it to the next level,” he added.

Student leaders will be involved in making decisions on what activities the students are going to do in Nepal. The students will also lead some of the planning sessions before and during the trip.

Fakhro also added that although specifics are not confirmed yet, HBKU is teaming up with Reach Out to Asia (ROTA) for this trip. ROTA, a non-profit Qatar Foundation affiliate, is dedicated to outreach and human development.

By the end of the day Thursday, emails will be sent out to all those who have participated in previous service trips, asking them to apply to the student leader positions.

Applications for students who are not interested in leadership positions will be out after Eid Al-Adha in October. These will be available on the HBKU WEBSITE (www.orgsync.com).

Another component of these HBKU-wide trips is “adventure,” including rock climbing and kayaking on previous trips. Fakhro explained that mixing the service with adventuresome activities is empowering as participants challenge themselves with trying new things

Facebook Comments