Student newspaper at NU-Q

The Daily Q

Two-star Alagha spearheads sweet victory for Pirates against QFIS

By Ralph Martins

Tarek Sadd lines up an overhead kick at Pirates Vs QFIS football match on Saturday, December 1, 2012.
Photo by Ralph Martins

The Pirates star left forward, Jaser Alagha, inspired the Pirates to a 4-3 win over the Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies (QFIS) in the Hamad Bin Khalifa University Football Tournament on Saturday evening.

Alagha scored two and set up a third in what was a bit of a grudge match for the Pirates after their last stormy encounter against QFIS.

A game that saw plenty of goals started off at a typically fast pace, with both teams not afraid to indulge in a bit of body play. Alagha opened the scoring early when he received a pass in the area, with three defenders around him. In a classical display of goal scoring skill, he took a couple of touches to open up space for the shot, then banged one past the QFIS keeper.

Shortly afterward, Alagha picked up his second when he collected the ball off a corner, ran across the face of the area and clinically tucked a shot inside off the post for an even more impressive goal.

Alagha was a constant threat to the QFIS defense with a number of speedy runs down the left, and it was clear that he couldn’t be kept out long. Soon afterwards, receiving the ball outside the box, he squared off for Marc Saade to lift the net from close range, giving the Pirates a seemingly unassailable 3-0 lead.

But QFIS was not deterred and minutes later Yazid Rahmouni pulled one back for his team after receiving the ball in the area and evading a defender.

The Pirates restored their three-goal cushion soon after half time when the QFIS keeper failed to get hold of a Nabeel Ibrak shot, and turned in time to watch it dribble over the line.

Yet the QFIS side kept their composure, and when they won a free kick in a threatening position, Anwar Koma drilled it in to keep his team in the game.

And the match tilted further when a Pirate defender conceded a fairly needless penalty for a clear shove in the back. The QFIS penalty taker swept in a low shot to pull his team within touching distance of the Pirates.

With momentum on their side, the QFIS side lay siege to the Pirate goal for a short period, and were denied only by resolute defending from the Pirate back line. The Pirates did have some luck though, as one shot was deflected wide after hitting a defender’s back.

The Pirates set up a few counterattacks themselves, with the QFIS keeper palming away a dangerous shot from the Pirates right winger. The Pirates looked to feed Alagha every chance they got, and he carried on his good form, repeatedly putting himself in threatening positions and firing in a low volley from a difficult angle.

QFIS had a bit of luck too, when Pirate captain Syed Mubashar Ali tried his luck from distance and had his goal bound shot blocked by a header.

And Pirate Tarek Sadd stunned the few spectators by launching himself in the air to fire in an overhead shot off a corner. He made firm contact, but failed to keep his shot down.

QFIS maintained the pressure, and gave the Pirates more than a few nervy moments, with Pirate goalie Ali El Atrash yelling Close them down’ at his defenders when they received a moment’s respite before a corner.

But the ref’s whistle finally blew for full time, and Pirate coach Paul Wood jumped into the air to celebrate a well-deserved victory.

Vengeance is sweet,

Facebook Comments

Student newspaper at NU-Q